Around 1 in 6 Australians have some degree of hearing loss. The good news is, the earlier you do something about it the better it can be managed. The Australian Government runs a national hearing services program through the Department of Health. Find out if you’re eligible.
What is the program?
The Australian Government Hearing Services Program (HSP) provides eligible people with access to subsidised hearing services and products provided by an accredited hearing services provider.
Services available through the Australian Government HSP, that are accessible to eligible customers, include:
- Access to quality fully subsidised hearing aid devices (for example our Advance Standard hearing aids) with the option to top up on any other hearing devices
- Advice on how to achieve maximum benefit from your hearing aids
- Further support and hearing services, which can be accessed even if fitting a hearing aid device is not suitable
- At xenonOz Distribution, all HSP customers will receive repairs and batteries to support your hearing aids at no extra cost
Am I eligible?
The Australian Government Hearing Services Program is open to Australian citizens or permanent residents 21 years or older who are:
- Pensioner Concession Card holders
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card holders
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs White Card holders
- Members of the Australian Defence Force
- Referred by the Disability Employment Services
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) participants
- Receiving Sickness Allowance from Centrelink
Please note that a Seniors Health Card does not provide eligibility for the program. To check if you are eligible visit the Australian Government Hearing Services Program online.
How do I apply for the program?
Applying online is the simplest and fastest way to apply, however you can also apply via post.
- Visit and complete the Australian Government Hearing Services Program online form, alternatively you can download the form or phone 1800 500 726 to request one via post.
- Once you have completed the application, in most cases you will be advised if you are eligible for the program.
- You will receive a welcome pack, please read the information provided and contact your preferred hearing services provider to arrange an appointment. If you provided details for an alternate contact, such as a family member or carer, they will also receive a copy of the welcome pack.
- If you have not already done so, please visit your medical practitioner to obtain a medical certificate before you visit your hearing services provider.
For more information or to find out if you’re eligible, visit the Hearing Services Program. Conditions apply to clients under the Australian Government Hearing Services Program.